UMD Box Storage Allocations
UMD Box is available to all faculty, staff, students, and affiliates at University of Maryland.
- Individual accounts receive a 500GB storage allocation.
- Box Group accounts receive a 1TB storage allocation.
Increases to storage allocations may be requested as needed.
- Requests should include the expected storage requirement and a written use case.
- In many cases, if more than 500GB of storage are required, and the use case is related to a university process or research project, the content should be stored in a Box Group account.
- Box Group accounts are better suited to the storage of data that needs to be maintained beyond the lifecycle of an individual account, and when data will require specific security and retention controls.
- Storage allocations above 5TB will incur annual charges. Contact the Division of IT to arrange for appropriate account setup.
UMD Box is approved for High Risk data, and can be used for a variety of purposes including simultaneous collaboration, file transfers, workflows, external sharing, and more. UMD Box SHOULD NOT be used for backing up entire hard disks, or long term archival storage of data.