I understand that, pending all approvals, I will be given access to information contained in University administrative and/or academic computer systems solely for the purpose of fulfilling my official job duties. I agree to keep all information in a manner that is appropriate to its content and to keep any personally identifiable information confidential, kept out of public view, and stored in a secure location/form whether it is in paper copy, contained in software, visible on screen displays, in computer readable, or any other form.
I understand I am solely responsible for my use of this information, including its disclosure to others. I therefore agree not to re-disclose or provide access to this information except as authorized by my job duties and in compliance with federal and state laws and University policy. Neither curiosity nor personal relationships provide a basis for any breach of confidentiality.
By signing the Optix Web Interface Access Request Form, I acknowledge I am the only authorized user of the assigned Optix Web Interface Access account, and that I will take steps to maintain the security, confidentiality, and integrity of any information accessed by me. These steps include protecting the confidentiality of my passphrase to ensure others may not use it to access my account.
I have read the University of Maryland Guidelines for the Acceptable Use of Computing Resources available at http://www.umd.edu/aug. I have had the opportunity to have my questions regarding these Guidelines, or my access to and use of the Information answered.
I understand providing Information for unauthorized uses or otherwise violating University confidentiality policies relating to the information may result in disciplinary action, including my dismissal and prosecution under applicable federal or state laws. If I am a student employee, I understand that misuse also may result in a referral to the Student Judicial Board.
I understand that it is my and/or my department head’s responsibility to alert us at email@example.com if there are any updates to access or requester/department head departmental changes.
By signing this form below, I verify I have read and understood this form, and agree to comply with its contents.
Statement of understanding for use of student data
I understand that all personally identifiable information contained in all student education records*, including information available through academic computer systems, is confidential and prohibited from disclosure except as permitted by the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), commonly known as the Buckley Amendment, and by the University’s Policy on Disclosure of Student Records (the Policy). I have read the Policy (http://www.umd.edu/ugradcat/appendix/student_records.html).I have had the opportunity to have my questions regarding FERPA, the Policy, and my access to and use of student data answered.
* Student education records are defined as any University record that contains information directly related to a student, with the exception of records made by faculty and staff for their own use and not shown to others, campus police law enforcement records, medical/psychological treatment records, some employment records, and records created after a student has ceased to enroll.
In particular, I acknowledge that under FERPA and the Policy:
* Release of student data within the University - Personally identifiable information contained in any student education record made available through these systems may only be used within the University for academic advising or to support other authorized internal University administrative functions. All requests for verification of student records or for other student data from University units with no academic advising responsibilities, and therefore no direct access to the Student Information System or ADVISE, must be referred to the Office of the Registrar for approval.
* Release of student data outside of the University - All requests for personally identifiable information contained in student education records from individuals or agencies outside the University must be referred to the Office of the Registrar. All personally identifiable information is considered highly confidential and shall be released outside of the University only with the written consent of the student or in compliance with the Policy. In addition, a student may refuse to allow the University to disclose even designated directory information outside of the University. The official record of these refusals is maintained in the Office of the Registrar.
* Release of student data for research purposes - The academic computer systems are not designed to support research and may not be used as a database for internal University or external research projects. Such data must be obtained from the Office of the Registrar or from the Office of Institutional Research and Planning, as appropriate.
* Only data pertaining to those students within the specific sub-unit's purview will be made available to that unit through the Imaging system. Exceptions to this policy will be made only with the approval of the office concerned in consultation with the Office of Academic Affairs.
I have completed the FERPA tutorial and understand that I must use this information with discretion and treat it with the utmost confidentiality. By signing this form, I verify I have read and understood this form, and agree to comply with its contents.