Microsoft Windows BitLocker Encryption
In this article
What is BitLocker encryption?
BitLocker is Windows encryption technology that protects your data from unauthorized access by encrypting your drive and requiring one or more factors of authentication before it will unlock via BitLocker Recovery Mode.
What triggers BitLocker recovery mode?
- Moving the BitLocker-protected drive to a different system.
- Upgrading the motherboard to a new one with a new TPM.
- Changing to the master boot record (MBR) on the disk.
- Clearing the TPM Password.
What happens when your Windows device is in BitLocker recovery mode?
If BitLocker Recovery Mode is triggered on your device, you will see the BitLocker recovery screen and you will not be able to proceed any further until you have recovered the BitLocker key.
Recover BitLocker key
- Copy the Recovery key ID contained at the bottom of the BitLocker recovery screen.
- Visit https://bitlocker.umd.edu.
- Check the box: I have read and understand the above notice.
- Enter Recovery Key ID and Reason for recovery.
- Enter the BitLocker Recovery Key issued from https://bitlocker.umd.edu.