Resources for Enabling COVID-19 Research
In this article
General COVID-19 research resources
Data collection tools
- Qualtrics - University of Maryland (UMD) Survey tool, good for collecting de-identified, self-reported data.
Data Storage and Collaboration
Analysis and Computation
- UMD Virtual Workspaces
- Available to all students, faculty and staff, these virtual workspaces come with a long list of software including R, Python and Tableau Public.
- Data is not saved in between sessions, so be sure to save your data locally or, preferably, to an appropriate cloud storage location.
- UMD HPC Resources
- All researchers at UMD are currently eligible to request access to Deepthought2 and Bluecrab resources, regardless of whether research is related to COVID-19 or not. Read How do I get an Allocation from the AAC? and visit UMD's High Performance Computer Cluster for more information. It typically takes 1-2 days from submission of a complete application to the creation of an allocation. For enhanced priority on the system, submit a ticket via ServiceNow explaining your needs and we will work to adjust. For any research that requires enhanced priority, please copy Tripti Sinha, firstname.lastname@example.org, on the request.
- COVID-19 HPC Consortium is providing significant cloud and supercomputer resources across a range of architectures to support research related to the coronavirus outbreak
- Google Colaboratory Google hosted Jupyter notebooks which lets you run Python code and analysis on their cloud resources for free.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Google research credits program.
- GCP is not yet available as a formal service and additional updates will be provided in the next few months. The Division of Information Technology is working to configure an organizational structure and will provide access to a billing portal for the umd.edu GCP so that researchers and faculty can set up billing accounts and pay for cloud resources. These accounts could be funded by credits awarded by Google, or directly by normal procurement and payment procedures. Individual colleges or project leads will need to establish POs via our GCP reseller Carahsoft prior to requesting a billing account.