View Multiple Email Inboxes Simultaneously
In this article
NOTE: Configuring MS Outlook for Gmail must be synced with MS Outlook 2016 or a prior version. The G-suite Sync tool is not compatible with Outlook 2019.
Gmail app for mobile devices
The Gmail mobile app can include multiple email inboxes from different providers simultaneously.
- Add all the accounts to your Gmail app.
- Open the app and tap your profile picture or initial icon in the top right of your screen to open the accounts screen.
- Tap Add another account and follow the prompts.
- Navigate to your primary email account's inbox.
- Click the hamburger menu (☰) to left of the search mail bar.
- Tap All Inboxes to display the mail of all the emails currently managed by the app.
Chrome for multiple Google accounts
Signing into the Chrome web browser ensures that all your Chrome data--such as bookmarks, history and other settings--are synced to your Google Account and available on any device where you sign into Chrome.
You can also use Chrome to manage and use multiple Google Apps accounts, like Gmail inboxes.
This is the preferred method of signing into and managing multiple Google accounts using Google Chrome.
Other browsers for multiple Gmail accounts
This method is limited to Gmail accounts. It allows quick access to multiple Gmail inboxes from the same browser in a few clicks.
- Add all the relevant email accounts to your browser.
- Log in to your primary Gmail account.
- Click your profile picture or initial icon from the top right of the page.
- Click Add Account.
- Follow the prompts to sign in the additional account.
- Repeat steps b through d as needed.
- Switch between accounts.
- From your inbox, click your profile picture initial icon from the top right of the page.
- Click the account you want to switch to from your currently active account.
- The selected inbox will open in a new tab.
Email clients are useful if you have email accounts with multiple service providers like Google, Yahoo, and Hotmail for example. Each inbox can be viewed onscreen simultaneously. Outlook through Microsoft 365 is an email client provided to the UMD community but there are many options available like Thunderbird and Mac Mail.
During Outlook's setup process, you can add multiple emails by following onscreen prompts. To add accounts to Outlook after the initial setup follow these steps:
- Click Tools
- Click the + button at the bottom left of the window.
- Complete the fields to add another email account.