Preparing for an Upcoming Semester in ELMS for Instructors
Welcome to another term!
Here are a few reminders of actions you may need to take to ensure a smooth start to your use of ELMS this semester.
- Be sure to publish your ELMS course in order to send an invitation to students to access your course.
NOTE: Only the instructor of record can publish a course space; neither teaching assistants nor co-instructors can perform this task.
- You can reuse content from past semester courses. Please review the directions for importing files, assignments, quizzes and the like. Questions about designing your ELMS course or using ELMS tools can be directed to LTdesign@umd.edu.
- ELMS spaces for courses identified as an independent study (e.g., courses ending in 8 or 9) are not automatically created. Use the EMT Create Single Section Course tool to create an ELMS-Canvas space. If you cannot find your courses in the EMT Create Single Section Course tool, submit a ticket to email@example.com to have a custom course created.
- Need a TA added to your course? Contact your college scheduler. Once the scheduler has made the assignment, the TA will have access to the ELMS course space the next morning.
- The first five waitlisted students in a section will be automatically enrolled in ELMS course spaces starting approximately one week before the start of the semester. Waitlisted students will be updated in ELMS every 2 hours between 8:00 a.m and 10:00 p.m. daily. (Waitlisted students must check-in at Testudo daily. If one day is missed, a student will be dropped from the waitlist and unenrolled from ELMS-Canvas. Updates will be made until the last day of the schedule adjustment period, when students who were not admitted will be automatically removed from the ELMS-Canvas course. All course data (assignments, grades) will also be removed from a course when a waitlisted student is unenrolled.
- Did you know you can hide the total column gradebook scores from student viewing?
- Orient your students to ELMS. This orientation is a public ELMS-Canvas space. Students should not be logged into ELMS when accessing the space. Student who are asked to provide evidence of their success in the orientation should take a screen snap of their final assessment score to share with their instructor.