Classroom Response System (Clickers) Guide - PowerPoint Polling in the Classroom
Instructional and assessment delivery for engagement and student feedback.
Quick Tutorial Videos
Full Refresher Video (10 minutes)
Set up in Classroom
- Log into the classroom computer and select the PointSolutions (formerly TurningPoint) app icon or launch the app from the start menu.
- Use your UMD credentials to log into the PointSolutions desktop management dashboard.
- If you are using Clickers, verify the receiver and classroom displays have the correct channel.
- If students will be using mobile devices, enable mobile responses and be sure to communicate the session ID to your participants.
- Select your ELMS-Canvas course from the list of courses displayed.
- From the PointSolutions dashboard, select your saved PowerPoint file under Content and then click on Start now button to open the presentation.
- Note that you must open the PointSolutions App before opening your PowerPoint file in order to use polling from within the presentation.
- If your PowerPoint file is saved on a USB device, you will need to download your file to the classroom computer, and then open the file via PointSolutions from the computer.
- Prepare for your new class session data and charts by selecting the Reset Session button on the PointSolutions tab in the presentation.
- Begin your PowerPoint presentation slide show.
- Clickers and mobile device users can answer multiple choice and true/false questions embedded in your presentation.
- Mobile device users have additional response options:
- You can use the Hotspot type question for queries about an image.
- Use Word Cloud to identify popular answer choices.
- Consider creating teams for competitions.
- Have students rank responses to specify preferences.
- Group students into demographic groups for answer comparisons.
- Track student responses and statistics for each question.
- Compare answer choices and history for specific slides.
- End the slide show and select the Save Session option after clicking the Save button on the PointSolutions tab to save session response data.
- NOTE: Your session data will by default be saved on the classroom computer; choose another location to be sure you can access the session data after leaving the classroom!
- Save your PowerPoint presentation (optional) and close PowerPoint.
- Close PointSolutions and log out of the classroom computer.