Mainframe Printer Requirements
If you're looking to purchase a printer that can also print from CICS/CP-One/SIS (mainframe platform), it must have the following functionality.
- Must have a hardwired Ethernet connection (i.e., a Wi-Fi connection will not work).
- Must have a static IP address assigned. Unmanaged switches/hubs may be used to share a wall data jack but unique IP addresses need to be registered per connected device.
- Must not be a host-based printer (i.e., requiring Windows and/or Mac print drivers)
- Capable of processing LPR text protocol transmissions (i.e., embedded print server required)
- Capable of internally processing the PCL print protocol.
- If you use a firewall or ACL, then it must allow traffic from umdmvs.umd.edu (188.8.131.52)
As a courtesy informational reference, the following Brother printers are mainframe compatible.
Still unsure about what printer to buy for mainframe printing? Send your question to DIT Mainframe Services Support.