Backup and Archive Service for Tivoli
The Division of Information Technology (DIT) offers a fee-based backup and archive service to the University community. Users and departments that require backups of their data can use this service to protect their vital information in a secure data center location. Data is also sent offsite for Disaster Recovery purposes. The service uses IBM's Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) which is an industry standard product. Data is initially backed up to disk and then migrated to tape drives in an automated tape library. Users can backup and restore files and databases based on a number of criteria in a scheduled manner with a variety of retention periods. The archive service is used to provide long-term retention of vital information. This allows users and departments to free up disk space for use with current data while retaining less frequently accessed data on tape. TSM is used for this service as well.
Benefits to Departments:
- Eliminates the need for departments to maintain expensive backup infrastructures.
- Provides resources and capabilities that some departments may not be able to individually afford.
- Eliminates the need for backup-related training for departmental IT staff, allowing units to focus professional development resources in other areas.
- Increases time and resources available for departmental IT staff to devote to user support issues.
- Responds to Campus sustainability efforts by decreasing the redundancy of backup software on campus and more efficiently using resources.
Benefits to Users:
- Users can backup files and databases in a secure data center location.
- Backup copies are sent offsite providing for disaster recovery.
- Users and departments can restore files and databases using the TSM client software GUI.
- Archiving of less frequently accessed data frees up disk space for more current and frequently accessed data.
Technological Benefits of the File Server System:
- Secured redundant backup infrastructure.
- Implements industry best practices.
- Offsite disaster recovery copy.
- Industry standard backup software.
- Fully automated tape library and tape drive infrastructure.
- Environment monitored 24x7/365.