Google Workspace for Education Naming and Cloud Security Compliance
In this article
What is Google Workspace for Education?
Google Workspace for Education (formerly G Suite for Education) is a suite of tools for personal productivity and collaboration. Google Workspace for Education offers students, faculty, and staff access to the following applications:
- Gmail (email)
- Drive (unlimited cloud-based storage)
- Calendar (meetings, appointments, and reminders)
- Groups (mailing lists and collaborative email)
- Docs (word processing)
- Sheets (spreadsheets)
- Forms (web-based forms)
- Slides (presentations)
- Keep (notes and reminders)
- Hangouts (chat and video)
- and more.
At UMD, when Google Workspace for Education is used by faculty and staff, it is referred to as UMD Google. When used by students, Google Workspace for Education is referred to as TERPmail.
Google Workspace for Education Cloud Security Compliance
Google Workspace for Education products are compliant with the requirements of the Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP). FedRAMP is the cloud security standard of the U.S. government. Google Workspace for Education is authorized for use by federal agencies for data with a Moderate impact level, such as PII and Controlled Unclassified Information. It is also compliant with the U.S. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). However the following kinds of data should not be stored in Google Workspace for Education.
- Federal Tax Information
- Student Loan Application Information (GLBA)
- Social Security Numbers
- Protected Health Information (HIPAA) Data
- Personal Identifiable Information (PII)
- Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) Data
- Credit Card or Payment Card Industry (PCI) Information Data
- US Export Controlled Data
NOTE: The Division of Research recommends UMD Box as an appropriate way to store and transmit controlled data. Instructions on the appropriate use of UMD Box are provided by the Export Compliance Office.
Signing into Google Workspace for Education
Faculty and Staff
To log into UMD Google as faculty or staff, follow the steps below.
- Go to Google Mail.
- Click Sign In.
- Enter your UMD email address when prompted. Click Next.
- Select Organizational Google Workspace for Education Account if prompted.
- You will be directed to the Central Authentication Service (CAS). Log in using your University Credentials.
- Authenticate your identity with multi-factor authentication when prompted.
- Your Gmail Inbox will open.
Follow the steps below.
- Go to Google Mail.
- Click Sign in. If you are already logged into a Google Account, Click your Profile icon in the top right then select Add Another Account.
- Enter your DirectoryID@terpmail.umd.edu and passphrase when prompted. Your Terpmail passphrase may be different than your Directory ID passphrase.
- Your Terpmail inbox will open.