Send Email as Your TERPmail Account Using Your Personal Gmail Account
TERPmail is a free Google email service available to University students. You can send emails from your personal Gmail account under the alias of your TERPmail account to avoid switching inboxes.
NOTE: University personnel are prohibited from sending University of Maryland institutional and business email from a TERPmail or personal email account. For more information, read IT Standard Institutional Email (IT-14) and UMD Email Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) in the IT Library.
- Go to Google 2-Step Verification and click Get Started in the top right.
- Log in with your TERPmail account. Read through and click Get Started at the bottom right.
- You have two methods for using 2-step verification. Select the method you prefer: Text message or phone call.
NOTE: You must enable 2-step verification to continue.
- Complete the steps to set up 2-step verification. On the settings page, verify 2-step verification is enabled.
- Visit your Google Account App Passwords page. Create an app password. Then, select Other.
- Name your app password (for example, "Email Link"). Then click Create.
- A pop-up window opens. Copy and keep the code that is on the right side.
- Go to your personal Gmail account and log in.
- Click the gear in the top right and choose Settings.
- Click Accounts and Import from the subsections.
- Find the subheading Send mail as. Then, click Add another email address you own.
- In the dialog box, enter your full name as it is registered on your TERPmail account. Enter your TERPmail email address. Keep Treat as an alias checked. Click Next step.
- Enter smtp.gmail.com as your server, port as 587. Use TLS.
- In the password field, enter the App password generated from step 5.
- Follow the rest of the steps to confirm you are able to send email as your TERPmail address from your personal email address.