GW Micro's Window-Eyes is a Windows-compatible screen reader that utilizes speech and braille output to aid the visually impaired in interpreting on-screen text and images. To learn how to download, install, and configure Window-Eyes, follow the steps listed below.
NOTE: Window-Eyes requires one of the following operating systems: Windows 8, 8.1 or 10. (For Windows 10 support, upgrade to Window-Eyes version 9.2. Window-Eyes also requires Microsoft Office 2010 or newer. A reboot will be required at the end of the installation.)
1. Open a browser and enter http://www.windoweyesforoffice.com/
2. Select a preferred language from the Language drop-down box.
3. Click Download Now.
4. The Window-Eyes Download webpage will open. Click the Download Window-Eyes link.
5. The file will begin downloading. Allow it to download uninterrupted.
NOTE: The number before the .exe is a version number. Your version might not be the same as the one in this document. That is generally okay, as long as you are downloading from the website identified here. If you notice anything suspicious or your file name is very different from the name shown, contact the Service Desk.
1. When the file is finished downloading, click Run or locate the downloaded file in your downloads folder and open it to start the installation.
2. If a User Account Control window opens, click Yes to authorize the installation.
NOTE: Window-Eyes installation requires administrator or owner access to the target computer. If administrative rights are not available, contact your departmental Information Technology administrator or the Service Desk to assist with installation.
3. The installer will start and initialize the installation. Wait while setup begins. If the installer requires you to click Next, click Next.
4. The Window-Eyes Quick Install window opens. Click Yes to initiate a quick install.
5. The User Information window will open. Enter a name in the Name field and UMD in the Company field. Click Next.
6. The Window-Eyes End User License Agreement window will open. Select I accept the terms of the license agreement. You can click Print to print a copy of the Window-Eyes End User License Agreement.
7. Click Next.
8. Window-Eyes will begin installing files on the hard drive.
NOTE: Installation may take several minutes to complete. Allow the installation to complete without interruption.
9. Once Window-Eyes installation is complete, the Quick Setup Complete window will open. Save and close any open documents and/or programs and then click Restart Computer Now.
1. After restarting the computer, locate the Window-Eyes icon in its folder on the Windows menu or on the Desktop. Click the icon to open Window-Eyes.
2. The Window-Eyes Quick Start Wizard will open. Click Next to begin configuring Window-Eyes.
3. The Speech Voice configuration window will open. In the Speech Voice: field, verify that Microsoft Speech Platform is highlighted in the Name column and Microsoft Server Speech Text is highlighted in the Voice column. Click Next.
4. The Voice Rate configuration window will open. Adjust the Voice Rate to a preferred level by using the up and/or down arrows in the Voice Rate: field and then click Next.
NOTE: The default voice rate is 50. It is recommended as the optimal voice rate for Window-Eyes.
5. The Punctuation configuration window will open. Check all three selection boxes and then click Next.
6. The Braille Display configuration window will open. Click the title of a preferred Braille display in the Braille Displays field to activate Braille Display support if necessary. If you will not be using a Braille display, leave None selected. Click Next.
7. The Typing Echo configuration window will open. Select Don't Change My Current Settings and then click Next.
8. The Notification Area configuration window will open. Select Show the Window-Eyes icon in the notification area, out of the Alt-Tab list and then click Next.
9. The Keyboard Layout configuration window will open. Select Default (for use with full size keyboards) and then click Finish to complete configuration of Window-Eyes.