GW Micro's Window-Eyes is a Windows-compatible screen reader that utilizes speech and braille output to aid the visually impaired in interpreting on-screen text and images. To learn how to download, install, and configure Window-Eyes, follow the steps listed below.
NOTE: Window-Eyes requires one of the following operating systems: Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. Window-Eyes also requires Microsoft Office 2010 or newer. A reboot will be required at the end of the installation.
1. Go to http://www.windoweyesforoffice.com/
2. Select a preferred language from the Language drop-down box.
3. Click Download Now.
4. The Window-Eyes Download webpage will open. Click the Download Window-Eyes link.
5. The Opening WindowEyesForOffice[language]8400.exe window will open. Click Save File to begin downloading the executable file. Allow the download to complete without interruption.
1. Go to the Downloads folder in Windows Explorer and locate WindowEyesForOffice[language]8400.exe. Double-click the executable file to start the installation.
2. The User Account Control window will open. Click Yes to authorize the installation.
NOTE: Window-Eyes installation requires administrator or owner access to the target computer. If administrative rights are not available, contact your departmental Information Technology administrator or the Service Desk to assist with installation.
3. The Window-Eyes Installation wizard will open and begin extracting the contents of the Window-Eyes installation package. Once extraction is complete, click Next.
4. The Window-Eyes 8.4 Quick Install window open. Click Yes to initiate a quick install.
5. The User Information window will open. Enter a name in the Name field and UMD in the Company field. Click Next.
6. The Window-Eyes End User License Agreement window will open. Select I accept the terms of the license agreement and then click Print to print a copy of the Window-Eyes End User License Agreement.
7. Click Next.
8. Window-Eyes will begin installing files on the hard drive.
NOTE: Installation may take several minutes to complete. Allow the installation to complete without interruption.
9. Once Window-Eyes installation is complete, the Quick Setup Complete window will open. Save and close any open documents and/or programs and then click Restart Computer Now.
1. After restarting the computer, locate the Window-Eyes icon on the Start menu. Click the icon on the Start menu to open Window-Eyes.
2. The Window-Eyes Quick Start Wizard will open. Click Next to begin configuring Window-Eyes.
3. The Speech Voice window will open. In the Speech Voice: field, verify that Microsoft Speech Platform is highlighted in the Name column and Microsoft Server Speech Text is highlighted in the Voice column. Click Next.
4. The Voice Rate window will open. Adjust the Voice Rate to a preferred level by using the up and/or down arrows in the Voice Rate: field and then click Next.
NOTE: The default voice rate is 50. It is recommended as the optimal voice rate for Window-Eyes.
5. The Punctuation window will open. Click all selection boxes and then click Next.
6. The Braille Display window will open. Click the title of a preferred Braille display in the Braille Displays field to activate Braille Display support if necessary. Click Next.
7. The Typing Echo window will open. Select Don't Change My Current Settings and then click Next.
8. The Notification Area window will open. Select Show the Window-Eyes icon in the notification area, out of the Alt-Tab list and then click Next.
9. The Keyboard Layout window will open. Select Default (for use with full size keyboards) and then click Finish to complete configuration of Window-Eyes.