Unzip a File Using Safari for Macintosh
By default, Safari will automatically unarchive downloads of most common types of archived files including movies, pictures, sounds, PDF and text documents and archives. The unarchived contents of the downloaded file will appear in your designated download folder. The original archive will be moved to the Trash.
Download and unzip a file
- Click the link for the file you want to download. The file will be automatically unarchived after download and will display in your download destination as the type of file(s) that was contained in the archive.
- Click the Downloads button in the top right corner of the browser.
- Point to the file in the Downloads window, then point to the Find (magnifying glass) button. The message Show in Finder appears. Click Find.
- The Finder window opens and highlights the file.
Have Safari unzip downloaded files automatically to stop unarchiving your downloaded files
- On the Menu bar, navigate to Safari and then Preferences.
- Go to the General tab.
- Uncheck Open "safe" files after downloading at the bottom of the list of options.