Run Graphical Applications in TerpConnect Using X11 for Macintosh
Used with Secure Shell (SSH), the X11 application in Mac OS X provides a secure interface for connecting to remote systems such as TerpConnect. X11 is often used for running applications that need an X environment with a graphical interface, such as Mathematica, MATLAB, or SAS.
Begin using X11 with SSH
- Double-click the X11 icon to launch the application. X11 is located in the Utilities folders in the Applications folder.
- An X11 window will appear with a command prompt.
- At the prompt, enter xhost +terpconnect.umd.edu and press Return.
- At the prompt, enter ssh -X firstname.lastname@example.org and press Return.
- You will be prompted to enter your Directory password.
- Steps 1-5 are pictured here:
- Once you successfully login, a TerpConnect command prompt will appear and you will be ready to launch graphical applications.
For more information on using X Windows applications, please see Displaying X Windows Applications on Remote Systems.