Configure IBM Spectrum Protect Backup-Archive Client for Windows
Installing ISP 8.1.14 for Windows
- Download the client 8.1.14 or Windows x64 client 8.1.14.x (depending on your OS bit type) from URL: https://terpware.umd.edu/Windows
- Make sure Be sure to extract the installation files to an empty directory.
- To extract the installation files to the same directory, double-click the compressed installation package.
- By default, the uncompressed files are stored in the current disk drive, in the download_directory\TSMClient directory.
- Double-click the spinstall.exe file to start the client installation program.
- Choose the type of installation in the following screen. It is recommended you choose Typical Installation unless you wish to make changes in your installations. Click Next.
- Click Finish in the final prompt window. The TSM installation is complete.
Configuring the ISP Backup-Archive Client
- Go to the Start menu, then Programs, IBM ISP , and finally Backup-Archive GUI.
- A ISP Client Configuration Wizard message should appear. Click Next. If the window does not appear, it means you have configured TSM previously. To continue with these steps, do the following:
- In the main ISP GUI window, select Utilities and then click on Setup Wizard.
- In the TSM Client Configuration Wizard window, click the box labeled Help me configure the ISP Backup Archive Client and click Next.
- You will then have the option to update your existing dsm.opt options file. Proceed to the next step.
- Once in the ISP Client Configuration Wizard window, you will either be updating your options file or creating a new options file.
- Follow the next steps to configure the client:
- The node name will be the same as the machine name you specified on the Node Registration Form or as confirmed by the ISP Administrators. Enter your given node name and click Next.
- The client will talk over TCP/IP, click Next.
- The server address is SDC-BUSRV0(?).UMD.EDU
. The port number is 1500. Click Next.
- The default include/exclude lists should be left as is for a normal client.
- Select any desired exclusions for the listed extensions. Click Next.
- Check the box Back up all local file systems to backup every file system local to the host. If this is not desired, select the file systems in the Domain List window that you would like to backup and click Next.
- Click Finish and the Wizard will prompt you for the password to your node to initially authenticate. Enter the password and click Next to authenticate to the ISP server. You will be prompted to change your password. Exit to the main screen indicating that the client authenticated correctly.
Setting Preferences and Configuring the ISP Client Acceptor Daemon
- You are now required to review your Preferences by clicking on Edit then Client Preferences from the GUI.
- Navigate to Authorization on the left pane of the Preferences window. Set Password Access to generate by selecting the radio button next to Password Generate. Click Apply then OK.
- Navigate to Web Client on the left side pane. Under Managed Services, select the Schedule radio button. Click Apply to apply the change. Click OK on the warning displayed.
- Now, it's time to setup the actual ISP Client Acceptor Daemon. This Daemon is responsible for contacting the ISP server periodically for backup services.
- Most clients will run on a server initiated schedule. To configure the daemons that need to run on the host for scheduled backups, perform the following steps:
- In the main ISP Client GUI window, select Utilities, select Setup Wizard.
- Once in the ISP Client Configuration Wizard window, check the box labeled Help Me Configure the ISP Client Scheduler. Click Next.
- Ensure the Install a new or additional scheduler radio button is checked.
- Name the scheduler TSM Client Scheduler.
- Use the local machine for the scheduler.
Important: Check the box labeled Use the Client Acceptor Daemon (CAD) to manage the scheduler. Click Next.
- Name the TSM acceptor ISP Client Acceptor. Click Next.
- The default options file (C:\Program Files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\dsm.opt) should be used. Click Next.
- The port 1581 is acceptable. Click Next.
- Verify that the node name is correct. Enter your new password. Leave the check box labeled Contact the ISP Server to Validate Password unchecked. Click Next.
- The system account should be fine for use by the scheduler.
Important: Make sure the radio button for Automatically when Windows boots is selected. Click Next.
- The default log files should be used. They reside in C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient. Click Next.
- Click Next to start the service upon completion of the wizard.
- Click Finish and the client will try to authenticate to the ISP server using the password supplied in step h. If errors occur, please contact email@example.com for assistance. Upon successful completion a window that says Scheduler service successfully installed should appear.
Good Job! You are now done with successfully installing and configuring your Tivoli Storage Manager Backup/Archive Client. Your system will be henceforth backed up regularly from a ISP central backup schedule.
Re-Configuring your ISP Client
To change or update your Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) configurations after the installation:
- Open ISP Backup-Archive GUI.
- Click Utilities then Setup Wizard from the ISP Backup-Archive GUI.
- Select Help me configure the ISP Client Options File.
- This will again take you through normal procedure of configuring your ISP setting and updating the Options file.