Lock and Unlock a File in Box
Box provides users with the ability to control collaborator access to files during and after editing through File Locks. Locking a file is one of the best ways to ensure that concurrent editing of a file does not occur, while unlocking allows collaborators to access a file after it has been locked for editing. To learn how to lock and unlock files in Box, follow the steps listed below:
Lock a File
- From the All Files and Folders tab on the Box User Homepage or within a folder, mouse over the desired file and click the down arrow button to the right of the file name to open the File Options drop down menu. Click Lock File to open the Lock File window.
- The Lock File window will open. This window will present users with two options when locking files: Duration for how long you want to lock it, and Disabling it from download.
- Selecting a lock duration will activate a drop-down menu that allows users to set the duration of the lock from five (5) minutes to unlimited.
- After all selections are made, click Lock to lock the file.
- When the Lock File window disappears, a Lock icon will appear on the left of the file name to signify that the file is locked.
Unlock a file
- From the All Files and Folders Tab on the Box User Homepage page or within a folder, mouse over the desired locked file (as marked by the Lock icon to the left of the file name) and click the down arrow button to the right of the file name to open the File Options drop down menu.
- Select Unlock File to unlock the file.
- Box will automatically unlock the file. Once the file is unlocked, the file will no longer be marked by a Lock icon and a notification will appear on top of the file, stating: You have successfully unlocked [file name].