Set a Screen Lock for Android Phones
Setting an automatic screen lock to your device can prevent unauthorized access. To learn how to adjust or set a screen lock to your device, follow the steps listed below. NOTE: These are general instructions for an Android. Steps may vary for specific Android models.
1. Tap Settings on your device, under the Personal section, tap Security, then tap Screen Lock.
2. There are five types of screen locks to select. Tap the type of screen lock needed for your device and follow the instructions on the screen. Below is a list of screen lock options listed from low to high security preferences.
- Slide: This feature provides easy access to the Home screen with no protection.
- Face Unlock: This feature unlocks your phone by facial recognition. If someone looks like you, they may be able to unlock your phone. NOTE: There are two settings you can use to make the Face Unlock feature more reliable and secure. Tap Settings on your device, under the Personal section, tap Security and look for the Improve Face Matching and Liveness Check options.
- Pattern: This feature allows you to use your finger to create a pattern by connecting at least four dots on the screen.
- PIN: This feature requires four or more numbers to create a unique PIN.
- Password: This feature requires four or more letters and numbers. See How to Create a Strong Password to keep your device secure.