If your course is not listed in the ELMS-Canvas Courses menu, follow the steps listed below to learn how to locate your course:
- Go to the Courses menu from the homepage of your ELMS-Canvas account.
- The initial list displays courses in which you are currently enrolled and which have been published for student viewing. If you do not see a link to your course, click the All Courses link at the bottom of the courses menu.
- The All Courses page will open. On this page, you will see all courses in which you are enrolled. Courses unavailable for student viewing will be designated as unpublished. The teacher has not yet enabled student access by publishing them. If your course is not listed, it has either not been created or students have not yet been enrolled in it.
- On the All Courses page, you will see clear stars and orange stars. The courses with orange stars will appear on your Dashboard and in your Courses menu. The courses with clear stars will not. For any course with a clear star, you will need to click the star to add the course to the Dashboard and Courses menu. When you click the clear star, it will turn orange, indicating that it is now visible on your Dashboard and in your Courses menu.
If you still do not see your course, an instructor may not be associated with it yet. Course spaces are created in association with the Directory ID of the instructor of record.
Other Reasons You Might Not See Your Course
If you registered for (added) the course within the past 2-3 hours, your enrollment data has not yet been transferred from UMEG to the course space.
If you are a new UMD students (just registered), it can take 1-2 days to set up your Directory ID and UID to have it recognized for enrollment in courses. Adding you to ELMS-Canvas course space(s) can take up to 24 hours.
If you change your Directory ID, or UID, your old ID will drop out of the course. It may take 2-3 hours for your new ID to be enrolled in ELMS-Canvas course spaces, at which time your contributions to the course space should also be restored.
NOTE: Students are encouraged not to change IDs once the semester is underway due to the break this action causes in service access. Questions related to registration and enrollment should be directed to the Registrar's Office (https://www.registrar.umd.edu/index.html).
There are a few issues that could delay your courses from showing in ELMS-Canvas.
- If you are a new faculty member, there can be a delay on your department's Human Resources side with getting you set up in the payroll system.
- It can then take up to 24 hours to load your new Directory ID into UMD systems.
- Adding you into ELMS-Canvas can take up to 24 hours. The Student Information System (SIS) loads run every 2-3 hours between 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. and associates instructor Directory IDs with the course spaces for which they are the instructor of record,
Note: ELMS-Canvas courses are, by default, "unpublished". Students will not be able to access a course until the instructor of record publishes it.