Getting Started with TurningPoint for Instructors: Create an Account, Download Software, Prepare for Polling
Faculty who are new to TurningPoint will need to create an account and download the TurningPoint software to their local computer.
Create an account
New user registration (only required for your first use)
- To create an account, log in to your ELMS-Canvas course with your UMD credentials.
- Select Clickers from the course navigation menu.
- Confirm that your email, role, and name are correct.
- Use the dropdown menu to select your country.
- Agree to the terms by checking in the box.
- Click Continue. Select Canvas Authentication.
- Click Authorize.
- You will receive an email to your UMD account verifying that you are registered.
To download TurningPoint on your laptop or office computer, follow the instructions below. If you have already downloaded the desktop interface, be sure that you have version 8.0 or above. NOTE: TurningPoint is already downloaded on classroom computers.
- Sign in to account.turningtechnologies.com.
- Select the Downloads icon from the upper right of the page.
- Select the appropriate download link to download TurningPoint to your PC or Mac.
PowerPoint classroom polling
Add TurningPoint question slides to existing presentations
- Launch TurningPoint from your desktop.
- Open an existing PowerPoint presentation.
- Select where you want to add a slide.
- Click New in the TurningPoint menu ribbon.
- Select Question Type.
- Enter your question in the designated space.
- Enter your answers beneath the question.
- Enter a point value, the correct answer(s) and other attributes from the Question Options panel on the right.
- Save your presentation.
Quick tutorial videos
Prepare for polling
Enable mobile responses in TurningPoint
If students are using clickers, be sure they note the polling channel (a unique number which is posted in each classroom). Students using a browser or mobile device will need a session ID. To enable mobile responses and create a session ID:
- Launch TurningPoint.
- Select Continue or Sign In as prompted.
- Open your PowerPoint presentation.
- Select Mobile Responses from the menu. If Random is selected, a Session ID will be randomly generated.
- To reserve a unique Session ID follow the steps below.
- Click Reserve.
- Enter a unique Session ID between 4 and 14 characters. The characters may be letters or numbers but must include at least one letter.
- Click Reserve.