Install FireEye on macOS
FireEye is a new Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) system that is replacing the usage of traditional anti-virus software on campus. It will be required on all University-owned computers by June 30th, 2021. FireEye runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. FireEye is for University-owned machines only.
FireEye software installers can be found on Terpware access this page you must log in with your UMD Gmail account.
NOTE: Other third-party antivirus programs must be uninstalled before installing FireEye.
- Download the FireEye_MacOS.dmg file then open the file.
- Double-click on the xagtSetup.pkg file in the window that opens.
- Click Continue.
- Click Agree to accept the license agreement.
- Click Install to start the installation process.
- Enter administrator credentials and click Install Software.
- If you aren't an administrator on your computer, contact your IT support for assistance.
- When prompted, click Open Security Preferences.
- Click Allow... next to Some system software was blocked from loading.
- Click the checkboxes next to each program listed, Click Ok. Close the System Preferences window.
- Click Ok once the installation finishes.
- Verify installation was successful.
- Open a terminal window and run
ps -ef | grep xagt. You should see a process running with the name xagt.app.
- You can also check via JAMF if you are a JAMF user.
- Verify the version installed.
sudo /Library/FireEye/xagt/xagt.app/Contents/MacOS/xagt -v