Scheduling Web-based Polling in PointSolutions
For Web-based polling, it is recommended that instructors go to their course in ELMS-Canvas and select Clickers from the left navigation pane, or go directly to instructor.turningtechnologies.com. This portal allows instructors to create content and schedule polling with outcomes that can be uploaded to their ELMS-Canvas course gradebook.
PointSolutions (formerly TurningPoint) Web-based scheduled polling is not available for live classroom polling at the University of Maryland. If you are already familiar with the desktop version, be aware that you cannot use your desktop Manage tab for polls created with the following instructions.
Creating New Content
- Login to your ELMS-Canvas course and select Clickers from the course menu.
- Select Active Courses.
- Select the course for which you want to set up a poll.
- Under the Content tab, select Create Content.
- Type a name for your polling content in the Create Content window that appears and click the Create Content button.
- You have now created a content space for your polling question content.
- To create a polling question, select the drop-down arrow on the right of the Create button.
- Add questions to your poll. You can choose from a variety of question types and continue to add questions and answers until your poll is completed.
Schedule your polling question content
- Select Schedule at the top of the window.
- In the pop-out window that appears, complete the scheduling of your poll as desired.
- If you select Enforce Roster or Require Participant Sign In, you will not see the options for First Name, Last Name, and Email.
- Selection Enforce Roster will require students to be part of your roster in PointSolutions in order to participate.
- Select Schedule.
- Note that you can schedule the polling over any time period, allowing for asynchronous responses.
Sharing your polling question with students
- Once your question content is scheduled you can share a link to the poll with your students by clicking the Share button.
- You can share this link with students either by email or by using Announcements in your ELMS-Canvas course. Be sure to communicate the schedule (start and finish dates and times) that you created for this poll.
- Sign in to PointSolutions by selecting Clickers from an ELMS-Canvas course menu, or go to instructor.turningtechnologies.com.
- Select the course for which you created the polling session.
- Click Results at the top of the page.
- Select Sessions.
- Select Reports.
Uploading polling question results to the ELMS-Canvas gradebook
- Select the Results tab at the top of the page.
- Select Gradebook.
- Click on the drop-down arrow next to Export and select Canvas.
- Note that Grades will not be ready to upload until your scheduled session has ended. Each time you upload grades to your ELMS-Canvas course, a new column will be created using the date and time of the upload as a title.