Use Thunderbird for UMD Email
If you have not done so, download and install the latest version of Thunderbird. This will only work with the latest version.
In this Article
UMD existing email account
- Make sure that IMAP is enabled for your UMD email account.
- Open Thunderbird. From the menu, navigate to File - > New -> Existing Mail Account.
- Enter your name and Email address.
If you are using a Mac computer, click Manual config.
From a Windows computer, click Continue.
- At first, Thunderbird will not be able to log into UMD email. On the next screen, fill in the settings for Incoming, Outgoing, and Username. Click Re-test.
- Incoming IMAP: Server hostname is imap.gmail.com, SSL/TLS.
- Outgoing SMTP: Server hostname is smtp.gmail.com, SSL/TLS.
- Change the Authentication for IMAP and SMTP to OAuth2. Click Done.
- You will be prompted to sign in with your UMD Google Account. Enter your full email address. Click Next.
- On the next screen, click Organizational Google Workspace Account.
- Log in using Duo. Click Allow to give Mozilla Thunderbird email access to your Google account.
- You will be prompted again to log into your Gmail account (step #6, above). This second authentication is necessary for sending email. You should be all set up to send and receive UMD email from Mozilla Thunderbird.
Read without an email account
To read the mailbox file without an account, you must set a fake account.
- Enter values in the name and email address for Setting up an Existing Email Address. Use something similar to example.com as the email address. Click Configure manually.
- On the next screen, click Advanced config.
- Click OK to confirm the fake email address set up.