Recommended Systems Specifications for A. James Clark School of Engineering
- Processor: Intel Core i7 (or greater)
- Memory: 16GB (or greater)
- Storage: 512GB SSD
- Warranty: 3 or 4-year
- Other requirements: Large External Monitor
Software and applications
Webcams and microphones
Most recent laptop models have a built-in camera and microphone that work well with web conferencing systems. You may also find some affordable solutions (such as the ones listed below) to purchase:
Most recent laptop models have a built-in microphone that works well with web conferencing systems. If you wish to get a headset, here are two options that we use in our IT Service Desk:
All recent laptops have a built in Wifi adapter however most do not come with a dedicated ethernet port. If you are living in a residence hall, South Campus Commons or Courtyards, it is recommended to also have an ethernet connection. You can purchase a USB ethernet adapter or USB-C ethernet adapter if your device does not have a port.
For instructions on how to set up the ethernet connection, see Connecting to Wired Ethernet at Residence Halls, South Campus Commons, and Courtyards.
For more information, contact an advisor
Protecting your Device
In the event an accident occurs, there are multiple 3-4 year warranty options available. From Basic manufacturer's warranties to extended service plans.
Terrapin Tech offers warranties for multiple types of devices. Visit the Terrapin Tech store website for more information on the warranties offered and how to purchase them.
- For Dell products, we recommend Dell’s ProSupport Plus. It provides coverage for manufacturer defects and accidental damage (some limitations apply). Up to four years of coverage is available.
- For Apple products, we recommend AppleCare+ for Mac. AppleCare+ includes up to two incidents of accidental damage (services fees apply) and covers hardware and software support. Up to three years of coverage is available.
- Additionally for Apple products, Safeware Protection Plans are available as an alternative to AppleCare+. Safeware does not require any deductible, covers accidental damage service and hardware support. Up to four years of coverage is available.
Below are some tips to avoid a possibly expensive and time consuming accident.
- Keep your desk clear. More clutter on your desk means more of a chance something could fall onto and damage your device.
- Avoid having charging cords or peripheral cords dangling over desks or counters. It poses a tripping risk and your device could fall to ground with cord.
Purchase from Terrapin Tech
Terrapin Tech carries configurations that meet these requirements. They can be purchased online or in our store, located on the first floor of McKeldin Library (Room 1221). Please call Terrapin Tech at 301.314.7000, or email email@example.com for more information.
Benefits of purchasing from Terrapin Tech
- On-campus support for setup at the time of purchase.
- Loaner laptops if the student's device is being repaired by Terrapin Tech.
- Purchase up to a 4-year extended service plan to cover the device for the student's entire college career.