Export Data from Google Mail to an MBOX File with Google Takeout
A common format for exporting mail messages is the .mbox format (MBOX stands for MailBox). You can export and download your data from the Google products you use, and in a few easy steps, create an archive to keep for your records or to import into your UMD email account. If there is a very large number of folders to export into UMD email from a personal gmail account, it is best to do this by grouping or chunking amounts of data.
This article works with the Thunderbird version 91.10.0 (64-bit).
NOTE: Downloading your data does not delete it from Google's servers.
Create an archive of your data
Sign into your Google account.
- Open the Download your data page.
NOTE: All apps come pre-selected. If you only wish to export your mail you must deselect all other options by clicking on them one time.
- Choose which Google products to remove from your download. To see more details and options for a product, select the Down-arrow (e.g., only download certain mail folders but not all email).
- Click Next.
- The Download your data window will open. Choose your archive's File type (recommended .zip) and Delivery method (recommended email).
- Click Create archive.
NOTE the Download your data: archives window will open and the archive of the selection you made will begin. Mail archives may take a long time (possibly days) to create. Once the archive is completed an email will be sent with a link to the archive.
When your archive is created, an email will be sent to you that includes a link to the archive location. Depending on the amount of information in your account, this process could take a few minutes or several hours. Most people get the link to their archive the same day that they request it.
Open the mbox file
- Log into your UMD Google account and find the data file email.
- Open the email and click the Download archive button.
- The Download your data: archives window will open. Click the down-arrow and select all Mail or individual filters then click DOWNLOAD.
- Go to your browser's downloads and double-click the folder listed to open it.
NOTE: Each browser will download the file differently. If it downloads a .zip file you need to unzip the file once it is downloaded.
- The downloaded mail folder will be called Takeout. Open the folder and a Mail folder will show. Inside the Mail folder the downloaded file will show with a filename of nameoffile.mbox. Your data is now ready for storage or to be imported into your UMD email account.
For further information, contact the Service Desk.