- Navigate to Start and select All Programs, Tivoli Storage Manager, then click Backup-Archive GUI. This will open up the Tivoli Storage Manager application window.
- Click Restore. You will be presented with a Restore window.
- Restore can be one of two types:
Type 1: Restoring files from the latest backup set:
You may consider this type of restore in situations when you want data from the most recent backups. For example, recovery of a crashed disk would be for recovering and replacing a corrupted file.
- Click View in the Menu Bar and select Display active files only from the menu options.
- Click Yes in the confirmation window.
Type 2: Restoring files from backup set older than latest one
You may consider this type of restore in situations when you want data from old backup sets.
- Click VIEW in the Menu Bar and select Display active/inactive Files from the menu options.
- Click YES in the Confirmation window.
Point in Time Recovery
Point in Time Recovery is used when you want to restore your system as it was on a particular date/time. It is not a general-purpose recovery and is not much widely used. If you wish to and need guidance on this type of recovery please contact email@example.com.
- After deciding on the type of Restore, you need to select the files/directories/drive that needs to be backed up. You can do so by clicking on FILE LEVEL node in the left panel. You will be presented with a tree of drives and directories as follows:
Depending on whether you wish to recover the drive or particular directory or a sub-directory, click on the check-box beside it.
- The files underlying a directory can be seen on the right pane by selecting the directory. If you had selected View active/inactive files in the View menu options, you will see two versions of each file. The inactive version is marked with an x symbol and it corresponds to the older backup set.
- Once you have selected the files to be restored, you can set the restore options by clicking the OPTION button on the Restore window.
- Now click Restore. You will see a Restore Destination window. Select your restore destination as preferred and click Restore.
- If you had selected Ask user before replacing in the Restore Options you will be asked each time TSM comes across a version of the file in the destination folder. Click on Replace or Do not replace as you prefer.
- Once all the selected files/directories/drives have been restored you will see the following window:
Your restore is now completed.