Troubleshoot Wireless Connectivity Issues for Mac
If you encounter an issue connecting to a wireless with a Mac desktop or notebook computer, follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue:
- Select Turn Wi-Fi Off from the AirPort icon drop-down menu ( Wi-Fi icon located on the upper right side of the menu bar).
- Click the Finder icon to open a Finder window. Double-click your Macintosh Hard Drive, then the Applications folder, the Utilities folder, and finally double-click to open the Keychain Access file.
- Cleanup: From the login keychain (on the left), right-click any eduroam entries and select Delete to remove that entry.
- Cleanup: From the System keychain (on the left), right-click any eduroam wireless entries and select Delete to remove that entry.
- From the System Roots keychain (on the left), double click on DigiCert.
- Expand the Trust section by clicking on the arrow next to it.
- From the gray Extensible Authentication (EAP) drop-down, select Always Trust.
NOTE: This step is necessary due to a bug. At some point, the user will be prompted to accept trust settings for the wireless.umd.edu certificate. There is a lot of typing that must be done at that point, and if its not completed quickly the EAP authentication will time out and interfere with the configuration.)
- Close certificate window and save changes.
- Restart the computer and turn Airport on.
- Click on Wi-Fi icon (top of the monitor) and click Open Network Preferences. On the Network Preferences window, make sure the lock at the bottom left of the window is unlocked. Click Wi-Fi (located along the left hand side) and then click the Advanced button.
- Select the TCP/IP tab and using the drop down menu, change the Configure IPv6: field to Off.
- Select the 802.1x tab and a new window opens.
NOTE: 802.11b is no longer supported.
- Click the Add (+) button at the bottom left hand of the window and choose Add System Profile.
- You will be prompted to give this new profile a name.
- If you have any previous umd wireless profiles e.g umd, umd-secure, etc. please delete all of them.
- Enter the following:
- For login information, enter your Directory ID and your Directory passphrase .
- In the Wireless Network: field, select umd-secure.
- In the Security field, select WPA2-Enterprise. (it refers to the OS version)
- In the Authentication: field, deselect everything except TTLS.
- Click on the word TTLS and then Configure.
- In the TTLS Inner Authentication field, select PAP and press OK.
- Click OK.
- Click Connect.